Quick Install Guide
Craft Bearing is happy to make a variety of installation materials available for your review. Below is a Quick Install guide, but there are several other valuable resources available:
Assembly PreparationConfirm proper bearing selection has been made. Check shaft journal for roundness and size. Ensure that the bearing and surrounding work areas are free of dirt and other contaminants.
1. Dismantle pillow block and clean parts with a government-approved solvent. It is not necessary to remove outer race from cartridge.
2. Apply grease between the O-ring centers before assembling the triple labyrinth (TL) seal. Install the TL seal and move to the outer perimeter of the bearing journal.
3. Position inner race in proper location observing matching marks.
4. Fit the clamping collars at approximately 45° from the inner race joints; insure that there is an equal gap at the inner race joints. Tap down clamping collars with a mallet and tighten the fine thread, high tensile screws equally, repeating until collars are properly seated.
5. Remove packing fasteners and ensure that provided “nyloc” screws are used to secure cage halves at joints. Coat the inner race and roller cage assembly with liberal amounts of grease. Install roller cage assembly, making sure that the cage clips or nyloc screws are securely in place.
6. Position seals so that they are in alignment with the grooves of the cartridge. Apply grease to the two grooves that form the outside diameter of the seals. This serves to lubricate the running surfaces of the seals and cartridge and seals the bearing stopping contaminants from working their way through the labyrinth and entering the bearing.
7. At this time, coat the running surface of the outer race with grease. Never assemble bearing dry, load carrying surfaces must be lubricated during assembly. Check cartridge match marks carefully, then assemble cartridge.
8. After cartridge halves are assembled, coat the spherical outside diameter of the cartridge and the bore of the housing with a graphite compound. Introduce the required amount of lubricant in the cartridge assembly.
9. Place the housing base into position, insuring that the bottom of the base is level and supported 100%. Loosely install the housing cap.
10. Rotate the shaft to align the cartridge assembly within the housing. Tighten the housing cap screws.
(Disassembly is in reverse)
NOTE: Before shafting is jacked up, all housing cap bolts should be backed off.